House of Cards. Cancelled.
“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
Late Sunday, actor Anthony Rapp claimed that then-26-year-old Kevin Spacey drunkenly put the teen on a bed to seduce him. The Star Trek Discovery star made a statement. “I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually,” Rapp said last night of the 1986 incident when Spacey and he were both on Broadway in a revival of Long Day’s Journey Into Night and Precious Sons, respectively.
Spacey released a statement stating he “did not remember the encounter.” He added he was “horrified” by what Rapp described. “If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior,” Spacey said.
The Oscar winner used this time to announce publicly that he is now living “as a gay man.” A move that drew harsh rebukes swiftly online and otherwise.
House of Cards, a career-defining and critically-praised role for Spacey will come to an end in mid-2018. Season 5 left off with Clair Underwood in the Oval Office. Francis Underwood (Spacey’s character) resigned in disgrace.
House of Cards Solution:
1. Kill off Frank Underwood
2. Claire steps over the body
3. The show & Claire carry on pic.twitter.com/B9UAjNRrlK
— Jenn Carson (@8675309Carson) October 30, 2017
If Kevin Spacey loses his job as playing the president in House of Cards because of sexual assault, Donald Trump should lose his job too.
— brileydewaynejones (@brileydwjones) October 30, 2017
House of Cards? I'm waiting for Robert Mueller to cancel House of Trump.
— Kanisha Jackson (@Kanisha1Jackson) October 30, 2017
— KissKissBangBang Kat (@katfindsfish) October 30, 2017
My statement regarding Anthony Rapp and Kevin Spacey: pic.twitter.com/8z6zotHWE5
— Beau Willimon (@BeauWillimon) October 30, 2017
Update: Netflix cuts ties with Spacey
The fallout continues following Rapp’s allegation against Spacey. Three more men have gone public and accused the actor of varying degrees of sexual misconduct.
Netflix announced late Friday that they are cutting all ties with Spacey. The actor will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes him. Netflix is still debating on weather the show can continue without him. Spacey has been the counterpoint of Washington drama since it debuted in 2013.
Netflix also said they will not release the film Gore, starring Spacey, which was in post-production.
At the time of this report Kevin Spacey has charged with any crime.